Monday 2 May 2011

Location for the exhibition.

As I want the pieces in my exhibition to theme I have chosen a catwalk setting. I could have it in an original setting, like an actual catwalk, fashion week, a retail shop or outside in the open, however I feel this might take away from the fact that this is an art exhibition. Even though the pieces I have looked at are either fashion related or made by people within the fashion industry I want it to be clear that he works with in my exhibition are pieces of art.

I chose the catwalk idea because of the works I have looked at. I put them into categories of portraits, actual clothing and images of fashion. Automatically I thought of the works of art that were made with fashion designers of being displayed on the catwalk, the portraits could be rested on chairs ‘watching’ the show and the works of art that are of  fashion could be behind stage, hanging up on rails as tough ready to be put on. This would mean that the works can all be quite different yet still have a purpose with in the exhibition, so they would all fit without interrupting the consistency. Also for me the idea of a staged catwalk makes it seem more like a show.

One of locations I have looked at is the V&A as they are known for displaying famous fashion designers outfits and dresses as well as putting on special exhibitions on different themes relating to fashion. This map shows all the different rooms within the V&A. 

Another option is the new development planned to be built outside the museum. It is exciting and different which would add a lot of hype to the exhibition, especially if it was the first one there. Also one of the main thoughts of the project is to allow passers by to feel free to walk through this area without being intimidated by the museum, so it is more likely it would get more viewers than elsewhere. The only problem is that there isn't a clear space for the catwalk to go as there are so many areas with intertwining staircases.






 The disadvantage with displaying my exhibition at the V&A would be that it might not be obvious that it is an art exhibition as it could get confused with the historic pieces of fashion also displayed. Another option I have looked at is the Tate Moderns turbine hall. I think this would be appropriate as it is a very large space perfect for running a catwalk down and still leave room at one end for the ‘backstage area’.  The Tate modern is known for it’s contemporary artworks which my exhibition could fit in nicely with as the majority are relatively new and if not I can still edit them down to allow them to fit the gallery. Another advantage is the style of the interior, like Williamsburg Fashion Weekend it’s very urban and industrial which gives it a modern edge with a difference to the standard modern white-cube space.

No comments:

Post a Comment